The first real snow of the season fell last night. The wind has picked up and the first true blush of cold is in the air. A perfect day for this recipe…
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2tsp Olive Oil
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 lbs of seasonal long storage root veggies (carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas. celeriac, sunchokes)
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup of half-n-half
- Saute onions in oil.
- Add chopped roots and garlic; sauté for ten minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to simmer.
- Simmer until veggies are tender (approx. 30 min).
- Cool soup to lukewarm, then purée (I use an immersion blender and leave it quite a bit chunky).
- Wisk in half-n-half and return to simmer to heat before serving.
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
I usually also throw in a half stick of butter because butter makes everything better.